Wednesday, November 15, 2006

California Historical Landmark #693

Grave of George C. Yount
California State Historical Landmark #693

See this location on Yahoo Maps in Flickr
See this location on Google Maps

This landmark is located in the George C. Yount Pioneer Cemetery at the corner of Lincoln and Jackson Streets in Yountville, California. There are 16 other California State Historical Landmarks in Napa County.

 


George Calvert Yount (1794-1865) was the first United States citizen to be ceded a Spanish land grant in Napa Valley (1836). Skilled hunter, frontiersman, craftsman, and farmer, he was the true embodiment of all the finest qualities of an advancing civilization blending with the existing primitive culture. Friend to all, this kindly host of Caymus Rancho encouraged sturdy American pioneers to establish ranches in this area, so it was well populated before the gold rush.

1 comment:

  1. George C. YOUNT was my paternal third great granduncle. I've been near here many times during my life, going to or coming from somewhere, but never getting the chance to come for a visit. I will someday, soon, I hope get to pay my respects. I'm a California Native but feel at home whenever I've been to my dad's homeplace in Missouri. I have this same craving to visit Yountville.

    ReplyDelete